Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Let's talk about those terrible T words.

Their - There - They're



What do they mean and where do you use them?

Their - Meaning someone other than you
We went to their blog.

There - A place, somewhere other than here
We will walk over there.

They're - Used in place of they are
They're going to town.
They are going to town.

How many times have you seen these word misused?

 Many words in the English language are closely spelled and sound much the same, I know this can be a bit confusing but we need to take the time and learn the correct uses of these words and the correct spelling.

I recently tried to read an excerpt from a book that was on the verge of being published and though the story might have been great the writer had made so many mistakes that I could not follow the text. This I found in the first paragraph alone.

 Ok Bob you and Kera get down here now, come on the too of you now. There coming and will be soon. I want to close this gate before they get here.

Don't you think this would have been better if written like this:
 Bob you and Kera, come on I want the two of you down here now.They're coming and will be here soon, I would like to have this gate closed and locked before that time.

Maybe I should have included more terrible T's, including To - Too -Two. Next lesson.

If you have words that someone misuses and it gets to you leave a comment and I will add them to my weekly (maybe daily list) with the correct spelling and use.

No comments:

Post a Comment